Journey to McKenna

Journey to McKenna is the story of my long road to my daughter.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Three years ago today...

.

.
***Originally posted on 12/26/06 as "Two years ago today..."***

Three years ago today, on December 26, 2004, was the Tsunami that hit Indonesia, Thailand, India, etc. As mentioned in my post from April 8, 2006, it was the Tsunami aftermath, and the plight of all the Indonesian orphans, that first got me thinking about International Adoption. I guess something good can come out of something so bad.

Here is an excerpt from my April 8, 2006 post, that explains about the Tsunami leading me to International Adoption:

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Why China?

I had always dreamed of having a biological child, but fate had other ideas. It was the Tsunami in December of 2004 that first put the idea of international adoption into my head.

Indonesia was one of the countries that were heavily devastated by the Tsunami. The news reports talked about the many children orphaned by the Tsunami. I had never considered adoption before, but I thought, “I long for a child, and they need a parent. Plus, my Indonesian heritage might be a benefit to raising an Indonesian child”.

One of the adoption agencies on the news reports was Holt International. They are large and very well respected. Their headquarters are in Eugene, Oregon.

The news reports said NOT to contact Holt right away, because they were being overwhelmed with phone calls. They wouldn’t know for months if the orphans in Indonesia would even be available for adoption. Most likely, they would be placed with relatives.

I waited until the frenzy died down, and on February 28, 2005, I contacted Holt International. Holt told me that Indonesia doesn’t do international adoptions, but here are SOME of the countries that do adoptions to SINGLE WOMEN (some on a CASE-BY-CASE basis): China (Update 12/26/07 - As of May 2007, singles who had not filed their paperwork yet are no longer eligible to adopt from China), Guatemala (Update 12/26/07 - Had recent turmoil with the adoption process in 2007 and almost stopped International adoptions), India, Kazakhstan, Bulgaria, Haiti, Mongolia, Philippines, and Thailand. (Around October 2005, Vietnam re-opened to International Adoption. Update 12/26/07 - They also had turmoil with the adoption process in 2007.)

The lady at Holt told me the Pro’s and Con’s of adopting from some of the countries. For some of the countries, the children available were older and with a lot of medical issues. Their medical reports didn’t always disclose all of their issues and the paperwork and the adoption process was not always smooth.

CHINA seemed to have the adoption process down pat (Update 12/26/07 - used to be able to count on China's set timeline - was 6 months - Now, it's a guess on the timeline - my estimate - 3 years) and the children available were more likely to be healthy and younger. So, I decided to go through the CHINA PROGRAM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home