Journey to McKenna

Journey to McKenna is the story of my long road to my daughter.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The PAPERCHASE


The “PAPERCHASE” is the infamous quest to gather your Birth Certificate, passport, employment, financial, and medical information. The “PAPERCHASE” also includes a local police clearance, fingerprinting and FBI criminal background check, a search to see if you’ve ever been convicted of child abuse, parenting classes, meetings with your social worker, an inspection of your home, a physical exam, blood tests, and submitting photos of yourself and your home. You must also submit forms to U.S. Immigration, so that your future daughter will become a U.S. Citizen and can enter the United States.

You also need to write a letter to the China Centre for Adoption Affairs (CCAA) requesting permission to adopt from China, and submit a notarized statement saying that you are heterosexual. You need to appoint a married couple to be guardians to your child, if anything should happen to you. The Guardians need to submit a letter stating that they are financially and physically capable of raising your child, and will treat the child as if she were their own.

I had to also fill out a 16 page Personal Data Information Sheet that had such questions as: What are my parents and siblings names? What is my educational background? What was my childhood like? What will my parenting and disciplinary style be? How would I incorporate her Chinese Heritage into her life? Was my community diverse? Where is the nearest school and hospital? What are my greatest accomplishments? What religious faith, beliefs, or values do I plan to pass on to my child? How will I explain adoption to my child? How will I deal with the stress of parenting?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home