My Pride and Joy
..
.

I had wanted a cat for a long time and had looked at the Humane Society at least 10 times. Then, on May 6th, 2003, I was heading out to my friend Becky’s house, and needed to stop for gas. I stopped at a gas station that I don’t normally go to. As I was getting the tank filled, I noticed the PetsMart behind the station. Something TOLD ME to go into the store. An incredibly strong force drew me inside. There, in the back, were the pet cages, of Animal Aid. All the other cats were sleeping, but one. The gray cat, with the green eyes, was awake, meowing, and rubbing so hard against the metal cage, that her feet would slip out from under her.
I knew instantly that this was MY CAT! The volunteer from Animal Aid had gone home for the night, but I wrote down the telephone number. I called the next morning, and met the Animal Aid volunteer, at the PetsMart, at lunchtime. I reserved the cat, bought food, kitty litter, a cat box, a cardboard scratching pad, a lamb’s wool cat bed, and dishes. I set up a temporary room for the cat in my spare bathroom. That night, May 7th, 2003, I brought her home and she has been my pride and joy ever since!
I am so fond of my cat. She is my “first child”. She is an immeasurable source of companionship, comfort, and unconditional love. I can’t imagine life without her.
She had some skin issues a few months after I first brought her home. She was going bald in large patches. I spent over $1,000 at the Pet Allergy Clinic, trying to find out what was wrong. They tried special dry food (lamb and split pea, duck, etc.), trying to rule out what she was allergic to. They did a test, where they put her under anesthesia, and do several “pin pricks” of different types of grasses, wool, etc. They said she was allergic to several types of grasses, lambs wool, beef, etc. They wanted me to give her a shot every day, to try to have her overcome the allergies. This was unacceptable to me. I couldn’t subject my cat to that trauma everyday. Plus, she would scratch me and run away so fast, that I would never be able to catch her, to give her a shot.
A friend at work, Serena, told me about the Holistic Pet Vet that she took her cat to. I made an appointment, and one $90 visit later, my cat was cured!!! The Vet said that cats are carnivorous and shouldn’t be eating just vegetables. He told me about a raw chicken and liver diet that is supplemented with vitamins and salmon oil. I had to make it from scratch, and put little sized servings in plastic bowls, and freeze them. I would thaw out a couple each day. Luckily, about a year ago, I discovered that a brand called Rad Cat, makes ready-made servings, which you can buy in the frozen pet food section at New Season’s.
Although, making the special raw chicken and liver diet had been a hassle, I would’ve done anything for the health and comfort of my cat. I spoil her rotten! I can’t bear to think of her suffering, or what her life was like as a stray, out on the street.
I had a difficult time naming my cat. First, it was Sweet Pea, then, Bailey, then Katya, etc. Nothing seemed to stick, or "roll off the tongue" easily. Then, finally, the name that stuck and that she answers to...."Poopsie"!! She's such a pretty cat, she needs a more dignified name, so her "official" name is "Sasha". :-)






.


I had wanted a cat for a long time and had looked at the Humane Society at least 10 times. Then, on May 6th, 2003, I was heading out to my friend Becky’s house, and needed to stop for gas. I stopped at a gas station that I don’t normally go to. As I was getting the tank filled, I noticed the PetsMart behind the station. Something TOLD ME to go into the store. An incredibly strong force drew me inside. There, in the back, were the pet cages, of Animal Aid. All the other cats were sleeping, but one. The gray cat, with the green eyes, was awake, meowing, and rubbing so hard against the metal cage, that her feet would slip out from under her.
I knew instantly that this was MY CAT! The volunteer from Animal Aid had gone home for the night, but I wrote down the telephone number. I called the next morning, and met the Animal Aid volunteer, at the PetsMart, at lunchtime. I reserved the cat, bought food, kitty litter, a cat box, a cardboard scratching pad, a lamb’s wool cat bed, and dishes. I set up a temporary room for the cat in my spare bathroom. That night, May 7th, 2003, I brought her home and she has been my pride and joy ever since!
I am so fond of my cat. She is my “first child”. She is an immeasurable source of companionship, comfort, and unconditional love. I can’t imagine life without her.
She had some skin issues a few months after I first brought her home. She was going bald in large patches. I spent over $1,000 at the Pet Allergy Clinic, trying to find out what was wrong. They tried special dry food (lamb and split pea, duck, etc.), trying to rule out what she was allergic to. They did a test, where they put her under anesthesia, and do several “pin pricks” of different types of grasses, wool, etc. They said she was allergic to several types of grasses, lambs wool, beef, etc. They wanted me to give her a shot every day, to try to have her overcome the allergies. This was unacceptable to me. I couldn’t subject my cat to that trauma everyday. Plus, she would scratch me and run away so fast, that I would never be able to catch her, to give her a shot.
A friend at work, Serena, told me about the Holistic Pet Vet that she took her cat to. I made an appointment, and one $90 visit later, my cat was cured!!! The Vet said that cats are carnivorous and shouldn’t be eating just vegetables. He told me about a raw chicken and liver diet that is supplemented with vitamins and salmon oil. I had to make it from scratch, and put little sized servings in plastic bowls, and freeze them. I would thaw out a couple each day. Luckily, about a year ago, I discovered that a brand called Rad Cat, makes ready-made servings, which you can buy in the frozen pet food section at New Season’s.
Although, making the special raw chicken and liver diet had been a hassle, I would’ve done anything for the health and comfort of my cat. I spoil her rotten! I can’t bear to think of her suffering, or what her life was like as a stray, out on the street.
I had a difficult time naming my cat. First, it was Sweet Pea, then, Bailey, then Katya, etc. Nothing seemed to stick, or "roll off the tongue" easily. Then, finally, the name that stuck and that she answers to...."Poopsie"!! She's such a pretty cat, she needs a more dignified name, so her "official" name is "Sasha". :-)









0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home